Pneumatic Conveying Systems is the machinery used for transport of bulk solids through a pipe by using the flow of air or other gas. The typical bulk materials pneumatically conveyed are powders, pellets, granules, and irregularly shaped particles smaller than 20 mm. This Pneumatic conveying system is the most helpful option for material handling in the plastic industry. They are ideal for moving plastic in granular or powder form in a fast and reliable manner. Plastic is a lightweight material and easily modified material and some of the largest sectors in terms of plastic usage are the construction, packaging, and automotive industry. Their applications also include companies that produce plastic materials for electronics or biomedical equipment where conveyors are required for high-level conveying quality.
Working Principle – The pneumatic conveyor principle is based on the fact that bulk goods can be moved to utilize air through pipelines. The flowing conveying air transmits a propulsion force on the bulk material which conveys it through the conveying line. The pneumatic conveyor system is built on a pressure difference between the beginning and end of the pipeline. The conveying blowers or compressors are used for overcoming pressure differences.
Types of Pneumatic Conveyor Systems– They come in two types, the vacuum conveying and the pressure conveying types. Vacuum conveyors are smaller and cause fewer temperature problems whereas the pressure conveyors are suitable for long-distance as well as multiple distances conveying.
Benefits of Pneumatic Conveying System–
- Less Maintenance required – The Pneumatic Conveyors have fewer moving parts and require very little maintenance compared to the mechanical conveying system. Since they have fewer moving parts, these conveying systems also present less danger to operators.
- Less Spillage and dust leakage- These conveyors are enclosed and can easily be moved to fit around existing equipment. Since they are enclosed, they emit less dust and there are minimal problems of spillage.
- Energy Efficiency- The pneumatic conveying systems can use bulk raw materials which help in procurement of lowered material costs and thus an increased plant efficiency.
- Better Sanitation- Since the pneumatic conveyors have an enclosed pipeline, there is a very less risk of product contamination and the plant remains clear and clean. The piping can also be CIP cleaned and dried.
- Easy to Install- They are easy to install and there is an easy interface available with other process machines.
Specifications and selection criteria– While choosing a pneumatic conveyor, it is necessary to access the distance the material has to traverse. The other variables to be considered are the pipe size, line length, product density, and airflow rate. The filter, fan, and vents also play a crucial role if the product is dusty or toxic. One more feature that should be considered is adequate instrumentation that can help in troubleshooting in case of any error.
Characteristics – Most of the models manufactured by pneumatic conveying system manufacturers are equipped with control panels that can be customized as per the specification of the clients. These conveyors can achieve high-intensity production rates due to their extreme power in terms of speed as well as quantity conveyed. The advanced technology ensures that the material drawn is filtered most finely and keeps the environment very safe for the operator. In the conveying of plastics, it is important to take care of the material characteristics like particle density, shapes, and sizes. Renowned manufacturers of pneumatic converting systems offer efficient modern systems that can convey a wide range of materials for a large production volume.